Chapter 12 — Events and Venues
We have guidelines on running lunches and, in 2005, Victoria Mackenzie, who has run the London Lunch and helped at Sheffield, wrote down the model she used.
London lunches have been held on the second Saturday of every month since we began, at the following venues (and we appreciate their hospitality):
- Pizza on the Park, Knightsbridge
- The New Ambassadors Hotel, Euston
- Garden City, Mayfair
- The President Hotel, Bloomsbury
- University of London Union Bar
- Pizza & Pasta, Hammersmith
- The Filling Station, Shepherds Bush
- Fonzarelli’s, Victoria
- The Lantern, Ealing Common
• All Bar One Farringdon
• Leon, Bankside
• The Paternoster, St Pauls
* Finch’s Finsbury Square
Every August, since 1985, we’ve enjoyed a picnic in Russell Square.
Women’s Events have been held at:
- The Rosemary Tree, Highbury
- Cleopatra’s (a member’s garden)
- V-Group meetings in members’ homes
Parties have been held in members homes around the country and also held at:
- 48 Boundary Road, St John’s Wood
- The Diorama, Regents Park
- The Royal National Hotel
- University of London Union
- The Crypt at Deptford
- The Dome, Tufnell Park
- The Waterside Inn, King’s Cross
- The Anchor on the Thames, Southwark
- The Magpie & Stump, Old Bailey
- Subterranean Night Club, Ladbroke Grove
- Winkfield Resource Centre, Haringey
- The Spitz, Spitalfields Market
- Peacock Palace, Highbury Central Library
The London Gadabouts enjoyed a good choice of outings and members went clubbing at the Bubble Club every month.
Local lunches have been held in Cardiff, Highley Shropshire, Bolton, Bognor Regis, Newport, Bristol, Cambridge, Nottingham and Manchester, Ipswich, Kings Norton(near Birmingham), Highworth (near Swindon, Wiltshire) Reading, Brighton, Watford and Southend and Inverness. We have run holidays, weekends, and jaunts to Amsterdam. Events are organised by members and they also publicise our club at events such as The Mobility Road Show.
Outsiders helps to run the Disability Field at Glastonbury and, until recently, had a stand at Erotica in London.